Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sitting in front of a roaring fire on what is probably my next to last night at the Moby Dick. What a wonderful gift this has been.

As I turned on the gas of the left hand burner of the big Wolf stove, I thought about how many meals I have cooked in this kitchen now. I love turning on the music - Nora Jones, Dr. Hook, John Hiatt, Bonnie Raitt, The Beatles, Mark Cohn, Sippie Wallace, Billie Holiday, Bessie Smith, Neil Young, Bob Dylan and Jim Croce have kept me company while chopping vegetables and making various culinary creations.

Stir fry vegetables with brown rice, potato croquet stuffed with beet and carrot, pasta with fresh greens from the garden, pizza with broccoli, cauliflower, garlic and jalapenos, Indian butter chicken, samosa, fresh bean burritos made with Gail's homemade chile verde have been some of my favorite meals.


I like turning on the heaters in the living room in the morning while I make my tea and when it gets warm enough, I roll out my yoga mat and move my body while looking at the gorgeous green trees outside, seeing the cats come by, sometimes a momma deer and her baby wander through the yard and peer in the window to see what I'm up to. It feels so calm and peaceful while I'm practicing.

I have enjoyed exploring the Long Beach peninsula and beyond. Astoria has come to be one of my favorite places. There's a really good vibe there. I like the long promenade at Seaside and the endless beach and cute little shops. I have made friends with the ladies at the Ocean Park library where I spend time checking out movies and doing a little research on the history of the area. It's been fascinating looking at old photos of the house I'm staying in and seeing the parties and people and some of the same furniture, fireplace and pictures on the walls that are still here now. The mirror above the fireplace is the same. I am looking into the same mirror each day that people 80 years ago looked into as they sipped a cocktail and played card games around the fire.



I have come to look forward to Dean's visit almost every day. He started out being the gruff 85 year old guy who wasn't gonna take any crap. But as we talk each day over tea, he has told me much about his family; his wife of sixty-something years, his daughter and his son who was killed in a motorcycle accident, his grandkids and great grandkids. I know a little about each one. He has told me of his childhood on the farm and of raising his own family and how great he and his wife work together. She knows everything there is to know about gardening. He feels that he doesn't have a whole lot of time left on this earth, and that's ok with him. He spends a lot of time helping older people in their homes and he helps out at the care center. He has a very soft heart inside of a gruff exterior. He reminds me of my dad in some ways and I wonder if he can talk to his daughter like he talks to me. Sometimes it's easier to be open with strangers.

Antonio and I have developed a good relationship too. He teaches me words in spanish and wants to work on his english with me. He's always interested in what I'm cooking in the kitchen and despite him thinking what I cook is strange, he always tries it and he pretends to like it. He has a sweet tooth and I try to keep the candy bowl in the kitchen filled for him. But sometimes in the wee hours of the lonely cold nights, it somehow seems to disappear.

Antonio


Fritzi and Keith, the owners of the Moby Dick will be home tomorrow or the next day. It will be nice to meet them in person. I will thank them for this rich experience I've had in their historic home and in their community.

And my dear friend Minette....she thought of me when this opportunity came up and recommended me to the owners. She knew it would be a good adventure for me here, and it certainly has. An adventure with so many levels. Thank you from the bottom of my soul, Minette.





No comments:

Post a Comment