Monday, August 19, 2013

Mr. Lovett

Last weekend, I saw Lyle Lovett perform at the Deer Valley amphitheater along with a several hundred friends.

It was a beautiful evening that started out with fierce winds and intense rain. The weather report said that the storm would pass and hoped it was right as we sat in our car in the parking lot eating our picnic dinner. We arrived early in order to get good lawn seats. We had all we needed, except for additional layers that may save us from frost bite in the mountains of Park City.

This is probably the 15th time I have seen Lyle in concert since he came into my life in 1989 when I heard songs like "Here I am," "Nobody Knows Me," and "I Married Her Just Because She Looks Like You." I revisited the first two albums and fell more madly in love with "If I Had A Boat", "L.A. County" and "Give Back My Heart". Lyle was pigeon-holed as a country singer during those times but with the release of Lyle Lovett and His Large Band in 1989 it was clear that he was so much more. Blues, Jazz and nothing but class. He was different. Really different and I adored him.

As the rain cleared on this August night, we found spaces with our folding chairs very near the front, next to the place that was blocked off for those with handicaps. The guy in charge of the space told us he would give us the "all clear" signal a half hour into the show if no one showed up to claim the grassy area and we could move as close as the front row. And we did.

No matter how many times I have seen Lyle perform, I always get a little giddy just before he takes the stage. He is a presence there. A smooth, tall drink of water with messy - and now a little graying - hair. His trademark. It's not as big as it once was but still a standout feature on his tall, lanky body.

The Large Band takes the stage first, every one dressed in dark suit, white shirt and tie. They play the intro - The Blues Walk and then Lyle comes on, smiling his wonderful, crooked smile, taking up guitar and starting with a slow, burning version of "Black and Blue" from the second album. 

Lyle fans are cool too. They are older - 50's and up and they know how to have a good time. Even the guy next to me who thought he had to drink straight vodka all night and dance until fell down - he knew all the words. Just hope he remembers what a great time he had :-)

Lyle  and The Large Band played, talked and sang for three hours. One of the very best performances in my experience of him. He just gets better with age. Like a very fine wine indeed.

Thanks Lyle, for your important words and for playing the soundtrack of my life for more than 25 years.



1 comment:

  1. Great article, I really enjoyed the pictures and love hearing other people's recommendations for places to travel. Like you said, the news isn't the best place to get your info on places abroad, so it's always nice to hear it from someone who's been there.

    Travel Destinations

    ReplyDelete