Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Crosses We Bear


I sit looking out at the pristine blue water as I sip Jasmine tea and ruminate on A Moveable Feast. It's my first Hemingway experience and I'm devouring every bit. A friend said “I feel as if I’m rolling around in butter when I read Hemingway.” I agree with her completely. His writing is so rich and moving.

She walks in and sits at the small table next to me. She’s dressed in a smart designer skirt, matching jacket and leather belt at her small waist. I guess she’s around 32 years old. Big sunglasses and conservative diamonds on her ears and fingers. I’m thinking she’s in PR.

A few minutes later her friend arrives. Brassy, blonde, large sunglasses on her tightened face, enhanced lips shining with gloss and hands dripping with diamonds as she clutches a large designer bag on her shoulder. “Oh my god. I haven’t seen you in so long. Love your glasses. They’re the same as mine. Isn’t D&G just the best?” She leans over and presses her large lips in an air kiss on each cheek of PR girl. “How ARE you?”

Big sigh from PR. “I’m not doing well. Scott won’t let me have the house cleaner more than once a week, and the nanny just can’t do all that extra cleaning. And we have a dog, so the house is a mess. I’m trying to plan Scotts party at the wine bar and don’t know what to give as gift bags to everyone. And not sure if I should go with a full cake from Susie Cakes or just have them make the cupcake tower. What do you think? I’m also trying to find someone’s nanny who will watch kids at the park next door so that people can come even if they do have kids.” (She takes a small breath….) “It’s all just stressing me out. I’m having pains in my chest. The doctor is testing me for asthma and bronchitis. And also for some allergies. Maybe I’m allergic to gluten. I don’t know. And the dentist is concerned about my TMJ. I have that bite guard thing that I wear at night and don’t know if it’s helping. But I can’t sleep without it. What about you?”

“Oh honey,” Ms. Busty Blonde says. “I’m so sorry. I’m sure the doctors will figure out what’s wrong with you. You are seeing Doctor Yugishito in the city, right? I hear he’s the best.” Big inhale as her triple D chest rises and falls. “I’m trying to plan this wedding for next year but Jeffery just won’t sit down with me and look at the photos and the quotes. He says I should plan it and he’ll show up. I want him to go to Italy with me in July because you know I have that place rented on Lake Como, but he just won’t commit. So I’m gonna grab one of my girlfriends and go. Can’t wait for all the shopping in Italy. I can get a lot of things for the wedding.” She takes a bite of salmon and a sip of Chardonnay. “Maybe you can get Lisa’s nanny to help at the party. You know that one from Guatemala? She’s sweet.”

Wearing my invisible ninja suit, I watch out of the corner of my eye as they nibble on chocolate lava cake and sip an after lunch espresso. I think about how large and real these problems are for the two friends. And feel glad that they live in Marin and not in Calcutta….



No comments:

Post a Comment