Monday, April 2, 2012

Housesitting in Healdsburg

I've been here one day shy of one week now in the suburbs of Healdsburg with Coco the Frankenstein dog.

It's lovely here. The house is small and cozy and there is great walking and hiking from here. The town square is not far and holds many bakeries, restaurants and wine tasting rooms. It's thriving and full of life. The weather has been delivering mostly rain, but the thirsty ground is happily drinking it in.

Coco is a rescue dog and definitely has some issues. She looks like a bulldog or a pit bull but with legs that are about 5 inches tall and don't look like they should be able to support her large body. Her legs kind of turn at odd angles and don't match the rest of her at all. She reminds me of a science experiment where a mad doctor put together the different parts of a dog and came up with Coco.

She is heavy and solid and built like a linebacker. When we are out for our walks I have to be very aware of other dogs or cats that she may see because then the hair raises on her neck and she makes a beeline toward them. If I'm not hanging on tight, she will drag me down for sure. She loves to walk and would be out all day if I would. We've been going out once or twice a day and I feel like I'll be in very good shape after this four weeks. Her favorite place to walk is the hill above the house which is open space and I can see the whole valley from there. It is a visual feast.

I've had a lot of nice quiet time because of the rain, but also taken some time to explore a little. The beauty of the Alexander Valley and the Dry Creek Valley are stunning. The grape vines stretch out in perfect rows through acres of fertile land and the entrances to wineries are decorated with the most beautiful flowers and trees. Each one looks like a mini vacation waiting for you to step inside.

I will be here for three weeks more and plan to enjoy every minute and cover a lot more ground. Me and Coco. If our legs don't give out on us....

The lovely Coco

My official membership card

Lake Sonoma

No comments:

Post a Comment