Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Letting Go

"I came here to let you know
the letting go
has taken place" - Melissa Etheridge

This song has been flowing though my mind this week as I have been spending time each day going through the boxes of my life, all packed and stacked in my storage unit. They've been there for 2.5 years now.  It's been surprisingly easy to look though each one and to put it into its proper pile. One for donations, one to keep and one to throw away. One box at a time....

Each one is a chapter. Each has its own smell, its own feel, its own emotions, its own memories. It flows though my fingers and into its new home....but it stays in my heart and in my being. It has made me who I am now.

I went though a few particularly poignant chapters today: my honeymoon trip to Italy, Greece and Turkey just after the terrorist attacks of 9/11, my first solo trip to Asia in 2009, and a box containing get well cards that I received after having surgery to repair my shattered leg in 2005. I read each letter, looked at each photo, each train and ferry receipt, every museum ticket, menus from each night of the high class cruise, each colorful card that came in the mail to wish me well......and I let them go.

Blessing each piece with my tears and my gratitude, I lay them to rest in effigy alongside many other people's used up memories in the bin behind the building.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Meaningful. Poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you my dear friend. I really appreciate the feedback!

    ReplyDelete