Thursday, July 26, 2012

M M M Maui


I have been in Maui for one week now. The beauty of this island is mind blowing. The sea air is breathing new  life in my soul. I adore getting up in the morning and going for a long walk on the beach, or taking my journal and a newspaper and my blender breakfast to a park to sit in front of the blue ocean for an hour. I love going to farmer's markets and buying local fruit and produce which tastes like magic. It's great to be able to cook my own food again and get creative in the kitchen. Each day I get in the car and head out, either north or south and explore. I take the snorkle gear, snacks and water and see where I end up. I have covered a lot of ground so far and am enjoying immensely. I feel free and alive and supported by this place. The local people are so nice.There are thousands of people here on vacation, and it hasn't been easy to connect with them, for the most part. Many people on romantic vacations or couples with children surround me.....

I've been surprised and troubled by the lack of Hawaiians and Hawaiian culture here. Maui is all about tourism and very large, very expensive hotels and services. Sunsets and Mai Tais are big business. 
I have been reading about the history of Hawaii so I could understand better what has happened to create the Hawaii of today. it's a very sad history that I had never taken the time to explore before. But it's happened over and over again in civilizations around the world.


I've been to some places on the island where the spirit is very high - my favorites so far are the incredible heights of the volcano Haleakala and the Iao Valley. I felt surrounded by ancient souls in these two spots.I'm looking forward to exploring more.....

No comments:

Post a Comment