Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A night on the town

I make the long drive to a well known, well written about restaurant on the beach. After the valet parks my car, I stroll down the beach, through perfect palm trees and immaculate grounds, past goo-goo eyed diners staring at the coming sunset. I find my way to the beautiful wooden bar and take a seat at the end, closest to the open windows. I chat with Michael, the bartender and like all bartenders I've interacted with (all three of them so far), he tells me he makes the best Mai Tai on the island. Since it's happy hour and Mai Tais are always on the menu, I order one. So far, Michael might be right. It was the best damn Mai Tai I believe I've ever had.

I watch as the tourists shimmy, walk and strut themselves down the same path that I did, past the windows where every head is toward the setting sun and the parade route. Wearing their finest island garb, looking healthy and happy from lots of sun, sea and fresh air, they file in. Couples and families, all.
Long, halter style dresses and neon orange seem to be all the rage this season in Maui.

I peruse the menu and am intrigued by the seductive descriptions of the fish and seafood and a little shocked at the price tag. Oh well. It's a treat. I've been cooking and eating at home since I got here so it's a big night out. The menu describes the fish and even names the fisherman who caught it today. I decide to order the Ono, served with a pineapple mango sauce and stuffed with crab. Mmmmm....

After snacking on house made honey wheat bread with sweet butter and sipping my delectable mai tai, my fish arrives, and it was beyond my highest expectation of my first Hawaiian fish meal....oh my...it is served with lemongrass rice and grilled asparagus and I am taken to the heights of food heaven. Every bite was magic in my mouth. I tried not to moan too loud as I sat alone at the bar, but I didn't much mind who may have been listening in. Michael the bartender was pleased that I was so pleased.

After finishing every bite of my meal and practically licking the plate clean, I of course decided to extend my pleasure with dessert. The Polynesian Black Pearl would do just fine. With an espresso chaser. When the plate is placed in front of me, I nearly cry. It is almost too beautiful to eat. The Pearl is a perfect, round mound of chocolate mousse, placed in a gorgeous clam shell shaped pastry crust.

As I sit in the bliss of a gorgeous island sunset and the glorious feeling of having one of the best meals ever in my belly, Michael brings a warm, almond scented hand towel and places it in front of me. I smile a big Cheshire cat smile as I wipe the chocolate sauce from my chin.


No comments:

Post a Comment