Thursday, June 20, 2013

Preparation for the not so big 5-0

As I prepare to turn 50 in six weeks or so, many thoughts ramble through my mind.

50. Is this what 50 looks like? I have to say I'm pretty happy about it. I don't feel like the 50 I have thought of most of my life. That is until the last 6 years or so, as I've edged closer and closer. I've marveled at all the very cool, very young 50 somethings I know. 50 isn't a bad thing, as it turns out. It's a pretty great place to be.

I've thought mostly about how I will mark this wonderful occasion. What are some of the most memorable things I can do to make this another memorable day, in the many memorable days of my life? I would like to be on a camel in Morocco. I would like to be in a temple in Bali. I would like to be among the ancient Mayan ruins in Mexico. On a beach in Hawaii. Or in a home in Utah surrounded by the most important people in my life. As it gets closer I realize I don't need to travel far to a far off land to turn 50.

I have no negative thoughts about it, thank goodness. No resistance. Only happiness that I am here, in this place in my life. I have much to be thankful for, that's for sure. I have been to a lot of places, met amazing people and had more experiences in the last few years than most people do in a lifetime. I consider myself a very fortunate soul indeed. But I'm not done yet....

I've decided to make a list of 50 things I want to do in the next year. No matter how silly, how big or how small or how far fetched it may be. I realize that we all create our own reality and nothing is impossible. We'll see how it all shakes out. Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment