Saturday, October 8, 2011

Moby Dick and Me

Last month I was asked by a friend if I would consider coming up to Nahcotta Washington and "inn sit" for her friend's bed & breakfast. I didn't hesitate before I said "yes". She was as surprised as I at the quick response and asked if I wanted to think about it. I said "No. I'll be there."

I'm pretty much always up for an adventure and don't want to let anything pass me by....and since I really didn't have anything pressing planned for October, I thought why not? Maybe Richard Gere will walk into the B&B and we'll ride off into the sunset on his bicycle built for two. Hey, stranger things have happened...

I left California and drove almost 500 miles the first day. Spent the night in Roseburg, Oregon at a lovely little motel. The next day I headed north for a while into the deeper splendors of Oregon. It's so green and lush and gorgeous. Much like Bali, but with freeways and McDonalds off every exit. 

I headed North and West through the most glorious wine country and was soon on the Oregon coast and crossing the Washington state border where I quickly arrived at the Moby Dick. 

The hotel was built in 1929. It was always a hotel and a happening restaurant. It's big and square shaped and yellow, with red trim around doors and windows, which is very welcoming indeed. 


When I walked through the front door, I felt very comfortable. Coming down the hallway and into the large double living room was like coming to grandma's house. There are funky, overstuffed chairs and couches everywhere. Wacky, mis matched lamps adorn every flat surface while power cords snake under each rug and chair to the few wall sockets they can find. 

Two separate sitting areas make for great places to sit and talk. One has a fireplace as its centerpoint and the other is has a television and a piano. There are more books and magazines here than a library. I could be here for years and years and not read everything. 



The dining room and restaurant style kitchen take up the whole front of the building. The dining room will hold around 25 people and has a lovely view of the gardens and the driveway. 




Upstairs there are 10 bedrooms, each with its own theme. They are lovely but seem a bit rundown. In fact the whole place could use a big hug and a bigger scrub. I'm not sure what's happening with the owners, but it seems they have run out of steam for right now. This place could be even more brilliant and fantastic with a little love. 

In the back of the large property there is a beautiful yurt with a heated bamboo floor. Just perfect for yoga classes and retreats. Further back, facing the Willapa Bay, there is a Japanese sauna in a cute little wooden building.  The property is edged by a dense forest on one side and the coyotes make themselves known at night as they bark and howl at each other.

There is a good energy here. It's quiet and calm and I'm glad to be at the Moby Dick. I've spent two nights alone and it's ok so far. It's a big place to be a alone in, but I go upstairs to my little corner, lock myself in and sleep quite well. 

Antonio comes each day to feed the chickens, gather eggs, tend the large organic vegetable garden and do other odd jobs. His wife Lupe comes to clean once a week. 83 year old Dean comes each day just to say hello and to have a cup of tea. He's a funny guy and seems hungry for a little company. After just a few visits, I know everything about his kids, grandkids, great grandkids, his health, his life and travels. 

I'll be here for another four weeks and look forward to getting to know this little peninsula of Long Beach. There is a lot of great history here and greater walking and hiking to be done. If it ever stops raining, that is.




No comments:

Post a Comment