Monday, October 17, 2011

Adventures on the Long Beach Peninsula


It's been about 2 weeks since I arrived in this interesting little part of the world.

I knew it was off season here on the Long Beach Peninsula and there probably would not be any guests at the Moby Dick, but I guess I didn't realize that the whole 25 mile radius is pretty much shut down as well.

It gives the word "quiet" a whole new meaning. Not that there's anything wrong with quiet. I like quiet.

When I go to a shop or a restaurant here, it's a gamble whether it's even open on any given day. Most things are closed on Monday, after staying open Saturday and Sunday hoping for the wayward, brave winter traveler to grace them with their presence and their dollars.

I have enjoyed driving around and exploring the outlying areas here. Especially with my friend Minette who has been coming here since she was very little with her mom and spending time with her grandparents who spent summers here. She knows the peninsula intimately and it is a joy to tromp around with her. Last weekend we went to Cape Disappointment, The Graveyard of the Pacific, since so many shipwrecks have happened there.
Cape Disapointment



We went to Minette's favorite place, Mermaid Cove and spent time sifting through the mounds of driftwood, rocks and creatures there. Then off to the lighthouse for a most spectacular view of the end of the peninsula. Then lunch in Ilwaco and back to the MB to settle in for snacks and movies. The next day we hiked around Leadbetter State Park, which is the opposite end of the peninsula and was magical. Around the Bay side and into the forest and back out for a nice little loop. You can easily hike over to the ocean but we were a little limited on time that day, so we did a short version.
Leadbetter Point

Astoria Column
Yesterday I went to Astoria, Oregon which is across the Astoria Bridge and is about 22 miles from Ocean Park, my temporary home. I had a great time there. It's a sweet little town on the waterfront with lovely victorian homes perched along the hillside over the water. It was a gorgeous sunshiny day with lots of people about. I poked around in cute little shops, had lunch on the water, saw the maritime museum, the house where the movie "The Goonies" was filmed, toured the George Flavel House which was built in 1886 and was stunningly beautiful. Just before I left town, I drove up a windy street to the top of a hill where the Astoria Column resides. I was so glad I did. The view from there was breathtaking.
Goonies house



I drove back to Ocean Park and made a delicious meal of beans with onion, carrots, broccoli and indian spices and settled in for more movie watching. Needless to say, I've been watching a lot of films and doing a lot of reading and have enjoyed it very much.

This morning I went for a long walk along the beach boardwalk with the warm sun at my back and not a cloud in the sky. Everyone was smiling and happy, black tailed deer munched on grasses and everyone wanted to chat.


beach walking


Every day is such a gift and I am always counting my many blessings. Life takes us in such extraordinary journey when we can loosen our grip on long held beliefs that keep us bound.

I am letting go and free-floating down the river of my life.
sunset at Ocean Park beach








No comments:

Post a Comment