Sunday, January 10, 2010

Back in Calcutta

When I left Bodh Gaya, I had to make the choice of where to go. I could either go up north to Dharamsal where is freezing cold, or down to Calcutta to see my friends once more. It was very cold in Varanasi and in Bodh Gaya and I just wasn't feeling up to facing below freezing temperatures and snow in Dharamsala. I'm sad that I will miss it this time, but there will be a next time, for sure.

I flew to Calcutta on Saturday, just a 30 minute flight from Bohd Gaya. It is very nice to see my friends here again. It feels like home here. The girls at Soma Home are so special and I missed them very much. It's great to see Urmi and Arnab of New Light India, and I met up with a friend who I met in the Andaman Islands who is now in Calcutta. I will see him and his adopted Indian family again on Wednesday. Today I will see my friend Sutapa, a reporter for a local newspaper who I met during my time with Domenique LaPierre. She's a darling woman and it feels like we have been friends before.

The weather is pretty good here, warmer than up north anyway.

I have booked my flight back San Francisco for Jan 22nd. I think I'll go to Delhi early and try and see some of Rajistan before I leave. It's supposed to be spectacular with great history, sand dunes, camels and interesting food and people. I'm torn between just being so tired and ready to come home,and squeezing every bit out of this experience. I'll find the right balance, I'm sure.

I'm definitely missing home and family and friends and can't wait to be back!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe how fast the time has flown by on your grand adventure. Greedily, I'm very excited for you to be coming home. Once you get settled in SF, head north to Seattle. The changes that await you up here are mind-blowing...

    ReplyDelete