Thursday, November 5, 2009

Dolma and Detchen

I have many new friends indeed here in Kathmandu and feel so honored. I love sitting with Dolma, Detchen, Oma-la, the girls Dawa and Miley, baby Tenzin, Auntie Nun, cousin Tsering and another nun, Cherring. After dinner we sit on the floor and talk and watch an Indian soap opera on tv, which is Oma-la's favorite. I wish I could have had a picture of all of us last night, sitting on the floor, laughing and talking and drinking hot wine. Apparently one guest a year ago taught Oma-la the Macarena when they visited and she loves doing it, but wasn't quite in the mood last night. She said she ate too much dinner to dance.

Last night Dawa made me a special dinner that consisted of noodles, fresh tomato soup and MASHED POTATOES!! How in the world did she know how much I love mashed potatoes? They were so delicious. The potatoes themselves are very special and come from a hillside village far away from Kathmandu. I was feeling a little sick yesterday, headache, sore throat but this magic dinner cured me. It was so nice. She said she would make potatoes for me today for lunch before I go check into the monastery guest house. I will come back here on Sunday night to stay once more before I leave for India. I have had such a great time here in Kathmandu.

I am ordering some gorgeous rugs from Dolma to be shipped to me. If anyone is interested in getting in touch with Dolma to have her make and send any size beautiful rug to you, let me know. All the rugs are made here, the yarn is spun and dyed here and they are made with much loving care. They will be very special keepsakes for me in my next home that will commemorate my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment