Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It's Tuesday, I think

I'm getting into such a nice rhythm here in Kathmandu. When I first arrived I was shocked at the poverty, the pollution, the squalor that people are living in, but it is life here and it's vibrant and the feeling is good. People are tremendous in their will and their love for each other. Most homes have no running water and certainly no heat. The children are being washed in tubs in front of their shack homes, next to a chicken or a cow or a goat. Shaggy dogs are plentiful here too. Laundry is all done by hand even in the nicest homes and dries on the rooftops or the sidewalks. Everyone smiles and says "Namaste".

This morning I met up with Roseanna and Sunita at 7 am to go shopping for some clothes. I wanted to buy a Nepali outfit, which is a cotton/rayon sleeveless top that is very long, almost to my knees and is split up the sides. The pants are wonderful, loose harem type pants with a draw string. I could fit 5 people in them.

We got on a rickety old bus that cost us .15 cents to ride and went across town to a clothing place she knows. The colors and the fabrics were just incredible. You can buy it ready-made or you can have something tailor made for you for about $4 more. Because of time constraints, I had to purchase something right away, but I am SO happy with my new outfit. It's a beautiful light blue with gold embroidery/brocade. The pants are tan with the same beautiful brocade work on them. It's a great outfit and cost me about $12 US. I insisted that Sunita get one too and she was so happy. She has worked at the Shechen clinic for 10 years now as a cook and cleaner. She has two children and her husband doesn't work much. She is such a beautiful spirit and a dear friend already.

I went to an award luncheon for a woman who I know through Dick who received a local award for the work she is doing with children's education here in Nepal. It was held at a hotel and I was really happy that I could be there to support her.

I came back and had dinner with Manoj, Roseanna and Sunita near the clinic before coming back to Dolma's. Such a nice group of friends and I was glad to get to spend time with them today.

I have tea and/or dinner each night with Dolma's family, we all play with Tenzin and I come downstairs to my room around 8 pm. It's very sweet. They did a prayer tonight and we were each given a few drops of whiskey in the palm of our hand, then a small piece of dried meat and then a sweet biscuit. I am loving all of this rich, new experience.

I've put on weight in the last 3 weeks, which I'm told is a sign of happiness and prosperity. I feel very happy and very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment